[Tlhingan-hol] Eurotalk - New Words - Countries

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Sat Oct 29 09:58:19 PDT 2011

> Some of those CD's arrived on the 29th. A day early.
teH. wejmaHHu' De' jengva' wIHev.

> Any suggestions on how to transliterate "Scotland" and "Ireland" based
> on the countries above?

Since it seems to go by native names, I suppose Scotland could be *'alba or *'alba', and Ireland could be *'era'.

That being said, since both of these have English as their majority languages, and they went for the majority language rather than the indigenous people's language when translating New Zealand, the USA and the UK, I suppose *Suqotlan and *'ay'Irlan / *'ay'erlan may be preferable (*-lan* chosen over *-len* due to comparion with nu'SIylan). After all, why should Klingons be overly concerned with what people called themselves hundreds or even thousands of years ago?

Of course, I'm not exactly an authority on Scottish/Irish culture/pronunciation :P