[Tlhingan-hol] Eurotalk - New Words - Countries

Josh Badgley joshbadgley at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 29 13:23:03 PDT 2011

I had a thought while I was re-reading your email.  Perhaps I am missing the point of the new Eurotalk software, but let me explain my crackpot theory. Let's say this CD really "covers everyday words Klingons would use if they lived on Earth today", as Eurotalk's website says. So pretend a Klingon decides to visit 21st century Earth, for whatever reason. Maybe a whole expedition visits earth and they scatter out across the various nations of the planet. I would imagine this would be a situation analagous to the first European "explorers" visiting the Far East for the first time, or the Americas, or any other remote corner of the world.  Now assume our Klingon friend doesn not speak any Terran languages.  Instead, he (or she) has to learn bit by bit the native language of wherever they wind up.  So one Klingon arrives in Germany and picks up some German.  Perhaps they don't master German, but they learn enough to get by.  For him (or her), the name of the country is "Deutschland", not "Germany".  Later on this Klingon relates his/her adventures to other Klingons.  Maybe he has to file a report to his superiors. He tells them he's been on this weird planet.  He says specifically he had spent time in a nation that the natives called DoyIchlan.  So that's the word that gets added to the Klingon lexicon. Maybe?

-- jhb