[Tlhingan-hol] Eurotalk - New Words - Countries

Adm qe'San qeSan at btinternet.com
Sat Oct 29 13:12:45 PDT 2011

Firstly I should add that the course was based on a template so that any
language translated into it will be available in any of the other languages
already translated.   So no, there is no translation for Scotland, Wales or
Ireland but then there’s also no England and if we go further back in
history Wessex or any of the other kingdoms that became England and then
through various other combinations to today’s United Kingdom of Great
Britain and Northern Ireland.   You’ve also got to remember that people in
the UK rarely referred to themselves as from the UK (at least not in my
experience). Even though GB officially only refers to the mainland we tended
to call ourselves British or by the country part we were from. But UK was
what was on the template.

So anyway the choice of countries and was not down to Marc or myself. For
reference when I first considered the countries I was directed to the list
Qov had created for her own use and thought that was the way to go rather
than just end up with a transliterated list of the English.  Marc also
agreed.

We also had UK already in canon   wo’ tay’ which was on my original list.
When I queried the new translation this is Marc’s reply:

--quote from Marc (included with permission)

Finally, for UK -- You're right.  I had forgotten about wo' tay'.  I think,
though, for the CD, we should stick with tuqjIjQa'.  If someone should ask
why there are two names for the same country, I'd say that (1) it's not
impossible for one country to be referred to (especially in a
language/culture not of that country) by more than one name
(Holland/Netherlands, for example), and (2) wo' tay' is an older name --
perhaps the Klingons who gave it that name were thinking of the British
Empire.

Personally I love the new translation, tuqjIjQa’, as it I feel it expresses
more accurately the origins.

qe’San