[Tlhingan-hol] Eurotalk - New Words - Countries

Philip Newton philip.newton at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 12:35:40 PDT 2011

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 19:06, Josh Badgley <joshbadgley at hotmail.com> wrote:
> The New Zealand thing throws me not because they didn't use the Maori name,
> but because "New" does not translate to "nu"...I get the "SIylan" part
> though..

In Tongan, it's Nu‘u Sila (Nu'u Sila); in Niuean, it's Niu Silani.

Both those Polynesian languages (many of whose speakers live in NZ)
transcribed, rather than translated, the "New" bit.

Struck me as odd when I learned about that, but that's the way it is. *shrug*

Cheers,
Philip
--
Philip Newton <philip.newton at gmail.com>