[Tlhingan-hol] Where is the Klingon Word of the Day?

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Oct 20 09:46:11 PDT 2011

Noah Bogart:
>Some five or six years ago when I was originally subscribed,
>the Klingon Word of the Day would post here, and then we'd
>all discuss the canon Voragh would post from his deep reservoir.

I'm glad you liked it.  I've always believed it useful to see a given word or affix as used by "native" speakers.  This not only helps keep our speculation anchored in "reality" rather than letting it fly off into the stratosphere, bur reviewing all available examples of a word together *sometimes* reveals unexpected insights:  e.g. it's only used WRT people, or never takes an object, or is never used with abstract nouns (only physical, tangible objects), etc.

>What happened to the Klingon WOTD, and would there be a way
>to start it up again? I really liked it, and found it helpful
>when learning.

I don't know why Holtej stopped posting his daily {DaHjaj mu'} or whether he has any plans to resume them, but in the meantime look at Lawrence Schoen's {Dahjaj Hol} (transcribed) podcasts ("your daily dose of Klingon language").  Although he usually doesn't cite canon, he always provides several imaginative sentences for practice.  And there's an archive of old posts which I recommend you read from the beginning as he's careful to use only items that he's discussed previously.  Go to http://www.lawrencemschoen.com/tag/klingon/

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons