[Tlhingan-hol] nuq bop bom: 'ay' vaghmaH vagh: <taS SuQ>

Rohan Fenwick - QeS 'utlh qeslagh at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 18 04:32:26 PDT 2011

jatlhpu' Qov:
> jatlh SuypIn "tlhIngan jInmolmo' joS Sung."

jIjang, jIjatlh:
> Hm. {joSchuq} qaq law' {joS} qaq puS 'e' vISIv.

mujang Qov:
> They aren't gossipping about each other, and in this case the aren't
> even gossipping to each other, they're gossipping to an alien merchant,

toH, DaH jIyaj. I'd read it with the idea that the natives were gossipping
to each other rather than to the merchant.

Qov:
> pegh, 'a pochtaHvIS lubej Sung puS.

jIH:
> I'm not saying the usage is wrong, but to me 'op Sung would be better
> than Sung puS here.

Qov:
> I think the puS choice reflects the fact that I learned Klingon well
> before 'op existed, so it used to play that role.

qay'be'. And as Felix points out there's canon support for such a usage
too.

Qov:
> wa'maH cheb'a' Qenvob tIje'.[20]

jIH:
> If it were me I'd say Qenvob wa'maH cheb'a', but I'm not sure if I
> really find wa'maH cheb'a' Qenvob objectionable. I don't know why.

Qov:
> I'm hoping to collect a few opinions on this one.

Having had the chance to think about it, I think I can deal with wa'maH
cheb'a' Qenvob as an apposition. It's still not what I'd naturally say,
but it really does sound more or less okay. Weird.

jIH:
> SuQchoHlaHbogh tIr qech vItIvbej!

Qov:
> lutvam vIQulmeH tej ghItlhmey vIlaD. vI'angDI' bIHagh.

tI'angbej!

QeS 'utlh