[Tlhingan-hol] nuq bop bom: 'ay' vaghmaH vagh: <taS SuQ>‏

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Mon Oct 17 11:40:11 PDT 2011

At 11:15 17/10/2011, lab voragh:
>  >> >> I would think that *{'op Human} would also work here.
> > > To me, that would emphasize the fact that there are a number of humans
> > that dare eat these things, rather than the
> fact that those who do are few.
>It might just be my dialect, but {'op} "some"
>implies "few" or at least "not many".

To me "some" merely implies a number greater than
zero and probably less than all. I would read
{qagh Sopqang 'op Human} as confirming the
existence of humans that will eat the stuff but
{qagh Sopqang Human puS} as emphasizing the scarcity of such humans.

If I were told that of a ship with a crew
complement of a hundred, {DujvamDaq Heghpu' 'op
SuvwIpu'} I would expect to see between three and
ninety body bags unloaded, but wouldn't consider
the statement inaccurate unless there had been
fewer than two deaths.  If everyone had died I
would consider it more imprecise than inaccurate.
Some for me is the opposite of none, not an indication of scarcity.

In a formal logic problem does "Some Q are X"
necessarily imply that "There exist Q that are not X"?

So {Sung puS} and {Sung law'} are both {'op Sung}.