[Tlhingan-hol] nuq bop bom: 'ay' vaghmaH vagh: <taS SuQ>‏

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 17 11:15:21 PDT 2011

Voragh:
>> IIRC the TKW example preceeded the revelation of {'op} in SkyBox
>> Card 7, which is the only example of {'op} known AFAIK.

Felix:
> The SkyBox card came out in 1995 according to
> http://klingonska.org/canon/search/?file=1995-sbx-s07.txt&query=%27op
> The Klingon Way came out in 1996 according to Amazon.com
> Of course, considering the process concept -> published book is
> probably longer than the process concept -> published trading card (in
> a pre-existing series), that doesn't necessarily mean the sentences
> were translated in that order.

Well, so much for that theory!

>> qagh, ro'qegh'Iwchab, targh tIq Sop 'e' lungIl Humanpu' puS
>> Few humans dare to eat gagh, rokeg blood pie, or heart of targ. S21
>>
>> I would think that *{'op Human} would also work here.
>
> To me, that would emphasize the fact that there are a number of humans
> that dare eat these things, rather than the fact that those who do are
> few.

It might just be my dialect, but {'op} "some" implies "few" or at least "not many".  Here's that S7 example again:

'ej DujvamDaq 'op SuvwI' tu'lu'bogh po' law' tlhIngan yo' SuvwI' law' po' puS It [IKC Pagh] has... some of the finest warriors in the Klingon fleet. S7

{DujvamDaq 'op SuvwI' tu'lu'bogh} "some of the warriors aboard this ship".  Not all of them, not most of them, but some of them (whatever their number).

I think of {'op} as being the opposite of {HochHom} "most, greater part", which also appears in only one example:

… qItI'nga' Duj.  tera' vatlh DIS poH cha'maH wej HochHom lo'lu'taH
[The] K'Tinga-class remained in use for most of the 23rd century. S15

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons