[Tlhingan-hol] nuq bop bom: 'ay' vaghmaH vagh: <taS SuQ>

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Mon Oct 17 05:17:04 PDT 2011

>> pegh, 'a pochtaHvIS lubej Sung puS.
> I'm not saying the usage is wrong, but to me 'op Sung would be better
> than Sung puS here. Sung puS seems a bit like a calque (presumably "a
> few natives"?), and in the Klingon it sounds like the emphasis is on
> there having been *only* a few (so puS as opposed to law', rather than
> puS as opposed to pagh).

It fels a bit wrong to me, as well, but there is a canonical usage where *puS* seems to be used like "some":
pIpyuS pach DaSop DaneHchugh pIpyuS puS DaghornIS
"If you want to eat pipius claw, you'll have to break a few pipiuses." [TKW]

Note that this is an encouragement to break a few pipiuses as opposed to zero, not a few as opposed to many.

That being said, I still agree that 'op feels better.

DujvamDaq 'op SuvwI' tu'lu'bogh po' law' tlhIngan yo' SuvwI' law' po' puS. [S7]
"It has [...] some of the finest warriors in the Klingon fleet."