[Tlhingan-hol] Negative polarity questions in Klingon

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 10 07:23:36 PDT 2011

I can find only one example of a "negative polarity question" in canon:

cheqotlhchugh maHaghbe''a'? cheDuQchugh mareghbe''a'? cheQIHchugh manoDbe''a'?
Tickle us, do we not laugh? Prick us, do we not bleed? Wrong us, shall we not seek revenge? TKW

It's a rhetorical question, but the expected answer is {maHagh. maregh. manoD.}  Now whether a Klingon would preface that with {HIja'} or {ghobe'} I'm not sure.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

DloraH:
> (Even though we speak English) I constantly get my wife with this
> situation.  She will answer with a
> simple yes or no, and then I have to ask, yes - in agreement with that
> negative statement, or yes -
> as in correcting the statement, saying the action does happen.
> When I answer those type of questions from other people, I include
> more detail.  Yes, that statement
> is correct.
>
> "Correct, the targ does not bite."
>
> (Yes, I do talk like that.)