[Tlhingan-hol] 2 letter language code for Klingon?

André Müller esperantist at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 05:02:51 PDT 2011

Things like that happen(ed) on Earth too. Some languages, like Mongolian,
developped a whole new (or rather: entirely modified) alphabet to represent
the sounds and syllabic structures of an important foreign language in a
better way, in that case: Sanskrit. We remember seeing some pIqaD on TV on
Klingon ships but whenever we try to decipher it, we get things like "ghvQ
apu HHDj" or something. So in-fiction we might conclude that Klingon either
used a different mapping for these 20-something characters of pIqaD and
later on changed to the system we know from EuroTalk (I ordered it a few
days ago, yay!) and the internet, or that the system was entirely different
in the past.

>From the number of different pIqaD characters, though, we can conclude that
it couldn't have been a syllabary (too few characters). A script like Korean
Hangeul or the Mongolian Soyombo script would work excellently with Klingon,
but it seems they've always been using an alphabet, just switched it once
(remember those blocky klinzhai characters?) and "now", sometime between the
movies and EuroTalk, it apparently changed the phonetic value of the
characters. It might be possible, though, to use a 20-odd character alphabet
in a completely different way. Considering that the core of a Klingon
syllable is always 1 of 5 vowels, there might be ways of representing these
syllables in different ways than just a 1:1 CVC(C) syllabic structure... but
that's mere speculation.

The ones more creative than me could possibly think of a scenario, where the
Klingon characters we know where given new phonetic values, maybe through a
political decree. Maybe the characters were found out by some Klingon
linguists to be once borrowed from a foreign species (the Hur'q?) and this
caused a scandal among the proud Klingon race, so the phonetic value of the
script was then randomized or something like that...

Personally, I have to admit, I've never been so fond of pIqaD.
- André