[Tlhingan-hol] 2 letter language code for Klingon?

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 07:05:40 PDT 2011

I know from his Web site that SuStel came up with an interesting alphabet derived from Tolkien languages that used diacritical marks to represent vowels following the consonants to which they are applied. While this is spatially efficient, it's really still an alphabet, with vowels overlaid upon consonants and a rule explaining that in terms of phonemes, the vowel follows the overlaid consonant.

So far as I know, written languages take one of three forms:
1. As in ancient Chinese, (or arguably ASL) the written language is wholly independent of the spoken language. Symbols represent ideas instead of specific words, and the grammar is wholly unrelated to the spoken language.
2. As in Cherokee or Japanese, they use a syllabary.
3. They use an alphabet.

Two out of these three systems link the sounds of the spoken language to the written language (though English, in particular, is a bit wild and loose, poorly mapping what is written with what is spoken). We like thinking Klingon is weirdly alien in as many ways as possible, but perhaps human linguists are a bit overtaxed trying to stray from human patterns too much when coming up with written Klingon.

Klingon phonemes for syllables are insufficiently limited for a syllabary to work well. That closing consonant on syllables simply pumps up the potential number of syllables too much to make a syllabary work, unless you compare it to symbolic languages, like Chinese, of course. Cherokee and Japanese lack closing consonants. Both languages have one consonant syllable (the Cherokee "s" and the Japanese "n") and the rest are either bare vowels or single consonants followed by single vowels. (It was refreshing to realize that in Japanese, "Honda" is a three syllable word -- hoe-nnn-dah.)

So, I'm not upset that Klingon uses an alphabet, and I'm glad that in that alphabet, the romanized ligatures are combined to form single characters. That's what the fans came up with on their own and now it is apparently official.

The movies greek the characters for artistic reasons. Given the degree so many other things in the Star Trek universe are intentionally kept as consistent as possible, this choice was unfortunate, and will annoy us forever, but so be it. When you see Klingon writing in a Star Trek movie, just figure it's the Universal Translator Making Big Mistakes.

After all, there's no reason to believe that the technology for Universal Translators would be limited to audio-only, right? The Federation video recorders probably run the Klingon through a translation subroutine written by Microsoft, and we're stuck with the result.

Or maybe Klingon uses multi-color overlays in their text displays so that the REAL text is written in ultra-violet, which they can see and we can't, and they overlay red text, just to confuse spies who might otherwise examine the displays more closely if they were apparently blank, yet Klingons could read them.

Perhaps, given their capacity to see ultra-violet, they can't see red, giving them a particular distaste for Federation personnel wearing red shirts, explaining at least one factor leading to the remarkably short life spans of federation personnel wearing red shirts.

In an imaginary world, things can be explained many ways.

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv
lojmIttI7wI7nuv at gmail.com