[Tlhingan-hol] chIjwI' tIQ bom: 'ay' jav

Rohan Fenwick - QeS 'utlh qeslagh at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 4 21:40:57 PDT 2011

jIghItlhpu', jIjatlh:
> The sense of the English is at times so odd or obscure that I'm not
> even 100% sure if how I'm interpreting the English is the same as
> someone else might be

mujang Qov:
> I assume you have a Coles Notes or whatever the local equivalent is,
> a student study guide, so you're not totally on your own with
> inerpreting the English?  I mean it's your native language and all,

The way Coleridge uses it, at times I wonder. :) Yep, I'm going off a
couple of study guides, though there've been a couple of verses where
I thought I had the right interpretation just fine - like the "charnel
dungeon fitter" line - so was a bit lazy.

Qov:
> Fall down man, may the sky raise you. [Hee hee, this is why you came
> to accept pep where you formerly required pepmoH, just as you
> persuaded me to use pepmoH]

jIH:
> :P Really, I think you might have been right all along! I realised
> that "raise" probably would take an object, because the intransitive
> sense would likely have been "rise" instead and Sal already serves
> for that.

Qov:
> Oh so now I have to change back again? :-)

ngup jIH 'e' vIghetbe'. :)

jIH:
> yIpuv, loDnal! DupepchoH chal
> pagh tugh mapaSchoHqu'.

Qov:
> Either the sky will raise you or we will be too late.  Hmm, I'm not
> sure you have escaped the "otherwise" meaning. But wait a sec, what
> was your original? Can't you just use the whateverbe'chugh pagh
> bIpaSqu'choH and turn the pagh into a vaj?

The problem is I have to maintain a half-rhyme in the first line:

"Fly, brother, fly! more high, more high!
Or we shall be belated."

Hm. How about (stretching a bit to qugh "cruise"):

yIpuv, yIqugh! bISalbe'chugh
vaj tugh mapaSchoHqu'.

jIH:
>jInejchoHtaH, 'ach latlh taQbogh
>wanI' vISambe'taH.
>Or, if the nej-Sam pair doesn't do it for you, what do you think of:
>jIleghqa'taH, 'ach latlh taQbogh
>wanI' vIleghbe'taH.

Qov:
> I like the legh/legh pair better, both for the repetition and because
> I don't need to worry about what the chIjwI' is searching for. But my
> preference isn't strong enough to mind if you prefer the first.

It doesn't bother me greatly either. I'm happy to concur.

jIH:
> From the 'u' invitation we have poH tuj bI'reS "summer solstice" so
> I've taken to using poH tuj for summer, poH bIr for winter, and poH
> ghun for spring; depends where you are, I guess! (Here summer is
> truly tuj.)

Qov:
> Yeah, I was looking at it from Coleridge's perspective, not yours,
> but I didn't know that canon. Will I EVER know all the canon?!

Heck, does anyone? (With the exception of Voragh?) As you say, the
canon's that varied and widespread now that it's a challenge to stay
abreast of it all.

jIH:
> vIHbe'bogh SuS lurgh permeH noch

(poD vay')

Qov:
> I knew it was some sort of period-appropriate direction sensor, and
> that the wind direction was steady.

maj. So long as the basic idea was understood then that's all good.

> Ooh, I was wanting to do some podcasts, just for practice, critique
> and fun.  How would you feel about me reading highlights from the
> restored poem, and maybe discussing them as though the Klingon was
> the original and the English a copy?

qay'be'qu'! I'd be honoured. Once I've finished the edits I'll send
you a revised copy to go from. Let me know when you do them - I'd love
to hear what angle you take.

jIH:
> I've long since realised I suck at telling engaging original
> fiction and translation's my only outlet for longer bits of Klingon
> prose, hence my massive respect for nuq bop bom - I could never do
> that scale of writing.

Qov:
> Wow, well thank you. I was thinking it was the fun silly thing that
> I did when I wasn't feeling fully enough versed in the canon to do
> a real project.

If this is you not fully versed in the canon, I'm even more impressed.

> I haven't kept up all the time with new things. If I were a brand
> new Klngonist today, how would I possibly get up to speed on canon?

I don't know. For me maHvatlh's canon database at Klingonska.org has
been great, since it includes the MSN postings, Skybox cards, and bits
from HolQeD that I came along too late for. But the canon sources are
mounting rapidly and I do wonder how new speakers will be able to get
control of even most of it.

QeS 'utlh