[Tlhingan-hol] maj po

Josh Badgley joshbadgley at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 3 17:00:54 PDT 2011

I was about to say the same thing.  The template is the same for all languages.  In languages that do not have words for "yes" or "no", they are still forced to put something in there.  If I remember correctly, Thai has different "yes/no" phrases for different situations, but the Eurotalk version sticks to two only.  Also in Thai, there are gender differences based on the speaker's sex...so a man and a woman will use slightly different phrases for "Excuse me" and such.  Once again, Eurotalk only gives one version. Thus for Klingon, Marc had to come up with some phrases that aren't the best parts of the software. It's all found in the "First Words" section, which also include unfortunate Klingon versions of "please" and "I'm sorry" :(...although I have to say, I like the Klingon version of "Good bye", pretty straightforward.  The whole fact that Eurotalk crams every language into the same template was bound to cause problems.  For example I have realized as I have been working on the color section why the words for "yellow" and "green" are pronounced differently.  It's because there had to be some way to distinguish them, so we get "Suj" for green and "SuD" for yellow.  It gets pretty irritating, I just played the "Hard Game" for colors and I should have gotten all fifty points.  I kept muttering "QI'yaH" every time I picked "Doq" and it wanted "Doke" or "Dahhhk".  Overall, it's not such a bad program.  It's impossible to force every language into a convenient "phrasebook" and not make some mistakes.  The "First Words" section is definitely the weakest, but you can probably skip it and go straight for the gems in the "Countries" and "Foods" sections :).

-- jhb