[Tlhingan-hol] beings capable of speech

David Trimboli david at trimboli.name
Tue Dec 27 14:37:57 PST 2011

On 12/27/2011 7:14 AM, Rohan Fenwick - QeS 'utlh wrote:

>> Maybe that was another bad example. Let's say you have a talking
>> dresser drawer or closet, would its doors be {lojmItmey} or
>> {lojmItDu'}?
>
> As with the Thomas the Tank Engine example in the last couple of emails, hard
> to say, especially since there's no canon that would help us. I think the
> closet would consider its own doors to be its {lojmItDu'}, but whether others
> would also call them that, no idea.

Everyone is acting like there's a correct answer, but in fact we know
that Klingons themselves don't know what to do with these unusual cases.
The language simply isn't built to handle them, and Klingon culture
probably isn't used to frequently making up novel problem-cases. There's
little point in trying to guess what a Klingon would choose, since any
given Klingon might choose something different.

http://www.trimboli.name/