[Tlhingan-hol] {Hotlh} and {ghoS}

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Tue Dec 27 01:16:37 PST 2011

To me the commonality between the two translations is that they might
both involve getting data to a screen. Either you _scan_ it from the
real world and then see the results on a tricorder or you project if
from a databank onto a screen. But they are often quite different
actions. The "if the enemy commander hails us" example is excellent
and could be bad if misunderstood, because scanning can be perceived
as a hostile act.

It's a fair question and contributes to what makes me call Klingon a
"trapdoor code"  : you can translate into it with a little practice,
but the skill is in writing so that the meaning can be hauled back
out. I pulled some  sentences with Hotlh out of my story. (Not that
my story is definitive of anything. It's just 50,000 words of Klingon
in one searchable file and right in front of me).

tamey Hotlhqa' vajar. ngaq Duj ta laDtaHvIS, pongDaj'e' tu'.

The intended meaning here was more the from databanks one, clear
because it was established that he was looking at old computer
records. laDqa' might have made as much sense.

bIghHa' Hung HotlhwI' ta nuDta' HoDvetlh.

I suppose you could have a security projector. What might it project?

DI Hotlh HoD 'ej HaStaDaq wa' 'ay' tInmoH.

This one shows the overlap. It doesn't matter whether you translate
this as project or scan. He kind of had to scan it in order to
project it, and the tInmoH makes it clear that something is on screen
-- I hope.

"yImev." jatlh HoD. "tlhInganpu' chaH. yIHotlh."

This one is only unambigious because the previous order from the
captain was "HaStaDaq."

"wIHotlhlu'!" jatlh Hung yaS.

"We have been projected" would only make sense in some bizarre
context, like Klingon nerds noticing that they are featured in a
slide show, and making a pun. There are a bunch of these, very similar.

rI'Se' leQ 'uy' yaS wa'DIch 'ej jatlh, "tlhIngan tlharghDuj *Dugh*
boHotlhta'. pengu'egh."

Same, how would they know they had been projected?

Gaa, I use this verb a lot.

jatlh QeDpIn "HaSta yIbej. poj Hotlh."

An analysis isn't something you scan, so one expects it to be projected.

Som tI'ta'bogh yaS wa'DIch HotlhchoH.

Now this one is interesting, because Hota'ro' is using a tricorder
that is rigged to immediately display everything she points it at on
screen. So "scan" and "project" are exactly the same for her.

raS DungDaq tIHmey Hotlhlu'taHmo' chenlaw' Duj ngeb.

When I came back to proof this one, I read Hotlh as "scan" and
imagined the beams scanning instead of being constant, refreshing the
image faster that Klingon persistence of vision. When I first wrote
it I meant project, but hey, either way kind of works.

So for the most part they are obvious because the other meaning makes
no sense, disambiguated from context, or the distinction is irrelevant.

I return to the "enemy commander" one because it's a difference that
could cost lives, but unfortunately that sort of thing happens in
real languages, too.  There was a serious accident at an airport not
far from me because a vehicle operator was asked to "clear the
runway" in preparation for the arrival of a flight. What's the
problem?  The vehicle was a snowplough and the operator entered the
runway to clear it instead of getting off the runway.  And then
there's the classic "take off power" which can either be an
instruction to apply close to maximum engine power OR a command to
reduce power.

If anyone has ever died or started an unwanted war by scanning
instead of projecting, Klingon captains probably learn about that
pitfall, the way I learned about "take off power."

At any rate project/scan isn't nearly as bad as ear/belt. I've
started referring to "head ear" and "pants ear" in ENGLISH now.

- Qov