[Tlhingan-hol] tlhIngan Monopoly vISuq rIntaH!

David Trimboli david at trimboli.name
Tue Dec 6 07:52:30 PST 2011

On 12/6/2011 10:10 AM, André Müller wrote:
> 2011/12/6 Steven Boozer <sboozer at uchicago.edu <mailto:sboozer at uchicago.edu>>
>
>     Also {ngIp} "borrow" seems to be used in TalkNow! for "rent":
>
>       nuqDaq puH Duj vIngIp (TNK)
>
>     How is this line actually translated in TalkNow!
>
> The English line is "Where can I hire a car?". So the official canon
> English alternative translation is "to hire".

Ooh, yuck. That's not the "official canon English alternative
translation" of {ngIp}. Let's not get so caught up in "official" that we
lose sight of the big picture.

{nuqDaq puH Duj vIngIp} is how Okrand chose to translate "where can I
hire a car?" It's not marked as being the only way to say it, or the
most correct way to say it. It's just a way to express approximately the
same idea. Translations like this may be canonical, but that doesn't
make them official, exact, or exclusive.

http://www.trimboli.name/