[Tlhingan-hol] Conversational klingon and the use of {nuq}

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Sun May 29 05:44:41 PDT 2016

> Am 29.05.2016 um 13:19 schrieb mayqel qunenoS:
>>
>> <What is your number, Terran?> {nuq mI'lIj, tera'ngan.}
>> <What is this place?> {Daqvam nuq.}
>> <What is this?> {Dochvam nuq.}

Quvar:
> I'm not sure where I got that from, but I seem to remember that in this
case, {nuq} works here just like pronouns do: {SoH} can be "you" but also
"you are". So nuq mean "what (is)".

http://klingonska.org/canon/1996-12-12b-news.txt
<Question words (in this case, nuq "what?") function the same way pronouns
do in questions with "to be" in the English translations. Thus, the
question yIH nuq? "What is a tribble?" is exactly parallel the statement
yIH 'oH "It is a tribble" (where yIH is "tribble" and 'oH is "it").>

Quvar:
> {Daqvam nuq.} = "what (is) this place?"
> {Dochvam nuq.} = "what (is) this thing"
>
> Just like in {tera'ngan ghaH} = "He (is) a terran"
>
> Well, now following that logic, then it should be {mI'lIj nuq}, but then
maybe there is a rule it can be reversed?

I think this is clipped for {nuq 'oH mI'lIj'e'}, rather than a reversal of
{mI'lIj nuq}. They are basically two different ways to ask the same
question.