[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon used in brief of amicus curiae

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Mon May 2 14:02:15 PDT 2016

By now, you may have seen this document:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzmetJxi-p0VM19nbUpyNXE0a28/view

The authors used a combination of quotations from canon sources and
the Bing translator. I won't repeat the canon quotes, but here are the
"Klingon" the authors of the brief apparently tried to translate using
Bing.

"it lacks reasons" - {meq Hutlh}
"pathetic, arrogant" - {Dogh, nguq}
"intellectual property law" - {yab bang chut}
"Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer"
- {rut neH 'oH vIta'Qo' Qob law' yu' jang}
"The intellectual property clause would not protect a language" -
{'oHbe' yab bang QutlhwI' 'oH ghItlh Hol}
"bad idea" - {qab qech}
"This will not stand, man" - {not Qam ghu'vam, loD}

There's also the opening of Sesame Street, which goes: "Sunny day,
chasing the clouds away". The brief claims that the translation
literally means "day of the daytime star, the clouds are filled with
dread and forced to flee". It gives the Klingon as: {jaj pem puQmo',
chaw'nIS je Haj 'ej Haw' raD chen}.

This is apparently a corruption of Nick Nicholas' translation, which
begins {pem Hov jaj / Haw'choHnIS 'eng 'ej Haj}:
http://www.opoudjis.net/Klingon/sesame.html

Somebody translated that into literal English, which somebody else
then plugged into Bing to produce the above.

I'm curious to know how {bang} went from "lover" to "property"!

I wish they had asked an actual speaker to do the translation. But I'm
curious, how would you translate the expressions and phrases above?