[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: van bom

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Mar 25 06:30:28 PDT 2016

On 3/25/2016 5:34 AM, mayql qunenoS wrote:
>> No one ever discouraged {bIngwIj} until we learned to say {jIH bIng}
> what is this ? what does this refer to ?

/Klingon for the Galactic Traveler/ has this to say in the section on
regional variations in grammar:

    Another interesting grammatical difference is found in the way
    prepositional concepts (“above,” “below,” and so on) are expressed
    in the speech typical of the Sakrej (*Sa’Qej*) region. In Klingon in
    general, such ideas are conveyed by using a special set of nouns
    (*’em* [“area behind”], *bIng *[“area below”], and others) that
    follow the nouns whose position they are indicating. Thus, “behind
    the door” is *lojmIt ’em* (literally, “door area behind”) and “below
    the table” is *raS bIng* (literally, “table area below”). A pronoun
    may be used instead of a noun: *jIH ’em* (“behind me”—literally, “I
    area behind”), *chaH bIng* (“below them”—literally, “they area
    below”). In the Sakrej region, however, possessive suffixes are used
    in place of the independent pronouns: *’emwIj* (“behind
    me”—literally, “my area behind”), *bIngchaj* (“below
    them”—literally, “their area below”). Using the possessive suffix
    construction when speaking *ta’ Hol* will not lead to
    misunderstandings, but it will associate the speaker with the
    residents of Sakrej, which, depending on the political situation,
    may or may not be beneficial.

Prior to the publication of this book, we all thought the normal way to
say /below them/ was *bIngchaj* /their area below/, and so forth—we all
unknowningly spoke like *Sa'Qejngan*. This bit of grammar in /KGT/ was
something of a surprise to everyone.

http://trimboli.name