[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: van bom

lojmIttI'wI'nuv lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 08:50:15 PDT 2016

Okrand could have made this restriction (if he wants it restricted) much clearer if he’d called it a “number-forming element” instead of a “noun”, but then he’s not even consistent with numbers. {maH} is a “number-forming element, but {vatlh} is a “number”, as are all the other numbers for powers of ten.

It’s yet another lost opportunity for precision and clarity, but he’s never claimed to have that as a focus in the creation of the language, and it’s not something that he goes back and fixes later.

If someone who talks to him could remember to ask him about this, it would be helpful. Otherwise, as a new speaker, it’s probably not a good idea to habitually use {ben} without a number until we hear something explicit from Okrand saying it’s okay. There might be nothing wrong with it, but then if there is, that’s one more habit you’ll have to change later once the finer details of proper Klingon speech are known.

Technically, since he has indicated that {maH} is a number-forming element, and none of the other numbers are, you could argue that it’s not okay to say *{maH nuv vISuvta’}*. You’d have to say {wa’maH nuv vISuvta’}. But you could say {vatlh nuv vISuvta’} without it being an obvious problem. Meanwhile, I personally would feel a little weird saying that, and am compelled to make it {wa’vatlh nuv vISuvta’} as if {vatlh} were a number-forming element.

But is that accurate? In English “ten” stands alone, while “hundred” doesn’t. I have to say “one hundred” to mean “100”. Is {maH} a number-forming element because in Klingon, it needs to be preceded by the number of tens indicated, while in Klingon, {vatlh} can stand alone without a number, meaning “one hundred” the same way that “ten” means “one ten”?

Given that contrast, maybe saying {wa’vatlh} is just plain wrong. We wouldn’t say “one ten”. Why would a Klingon say “one hundred”?

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv