[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: HeySel

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Mar 14 10:36:44 PDT 2016

On 3/14/2016 1:22 PM, mayql qunenoS wrote:
> HeySel tInqu' rurbogh chab'e' chenmoHta' SoSma'.
> our mother created a pie which resembles a giant atom.

Nice use of {tInqu'} for "giant."

> novvetlh boqIpDI', nachDaj DungDaq narghpu' HeySel Doq law'.
> when you hit that alien, many red atoms appeared above his head.

So far as we know, you can't apply two adjectival verbs to a single
noun. Some ways to work around this are:

    law'bogh HeySel Doq
    red atoms which are many

    Doqbogh HeySel law'
    many atoms which are red

    Doqbogh HeySel 'ej law'bogh  [or]
    Doqbogh 'ej law'bogh HeySel
    atoms which are red and many

> reH HeySel chu'vaD DInej 'e' lupar nuv law'.
> many people dislike that we are always searching for new atoms.

{nej} takes the thing being searched for as its object, so you can just
say {HeySel chu' DInej} "we search for new atoms."

It would not be wrong to say {HeySel chu'vaD manej} "we search (for
things in general), for new atoms," but it would be strange to say that.
On the other hand, you could also say {HoDvaD manej} "we search (for
things), for the captain's sake"; this might show you why you would want
to avoid doing this.

> HeySel 'IHvam wItu'meH qIb HopDaq wIve'nISpu'.
> in order to discover this beautiful atom, we needed to travel at a
> remote galaxy.

The {-vam} is not a type 5 suffix, and so does not migrate to the {'IH}.
{HeySelvam 'IH} "this beautiful atom."

> does {ve'} follow the same rules that apply to {jaH} ?

I would guess so. I certainly wouldn't complain about how you've used it.

http://trimboli.name