[Tlhingan-hol] Between us curses run like water

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 05:33:32 PST 2016

mayql qunenoS:
> Thank you voragh and qurgh for taking the time to reply.
>
> ..since we do not have a qanon answer as far as the meaning of this
> vIttlhegh is concerned, we can only speculate. I think it is
> reasonable to believe that since it is said during a holiday it is
> said for good. So, if I was to take a guess I think it could mean
> either
>
> a. any curses that have been said, are undone ; something similar to
> "water under the bridge"

I doubt that Klingons have the same idiom.

> b. since the ability to curse well, is considered a positive klingon
> attribute, perhaps this phrase actually praises the personalities of
> both holiday participants, describing their capability of cursing
> well, effectively, constantly etc.

Let's look at what the Klingon actually says.

{matay'DI' vIHtaHbogh bIQ rur mu'qaDmey}
When we are together, curses resemble continuously moving water.

I take it that it means the speaker and listener are on such good
terms that the curses run freely between them. Remember that curse
warfare is a sport and curses are technically challenge words. In
Klingon culture, curses run freely between friends.