[Tlhingan-hol] KLBC: third-person subject of relative phrase

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Mar 8 09:41:34 PST 2016

On 3/8/2016 12:13 PM, chransberry at gmail.com wrote:
> SIjwI' chIlmo' ghu, megh vutlaHbe' tey'be'wI'.
> Because the baby lost the knife, my cousin could not make lunch.

Is the losing a completed event? If it is, you should say {SIjwI'
chIlpu'mo' ghu} "because the baby lost the knife." Otherwise it's more
like "because the baby loses the knife," where it's not just a thing
that happened, but something that tends to happen or might happen.
{chIl} doesn't express a state.

Compare that with the main clause, wherein the verb {vutlaHbe'}
expresses a state (inability to cook), so isn't a completed action.

http://www.trimboli.name/