[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tey'be'

mayql qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 02:10:43 PST 2016

SuStel :
> The first sentence is still a sentence, and its subject is {teybe'wI'} in
> QISta''s version, and an elided {ghaH} in yours.
> The first sentence is not literally the object of the second; the object
> of the second sentence is {'e'}, which REFERS to the first sentence.
> You always have to put the first
>  sentence first.
> [sentence1] [sentence2]
> [sentence1] ['e' V S  ]
> [    sentence1      ] [sentence2]
> [megh vut tey'be'wI'] [ 'e' nID ]

thank you for writing all this, but I will choose to forget ever
reading these comments. they messed me up real good. they totally f**
up any understanding whatsoever I had until now, as far as the SAO is
concerned. ignorance is bliss.

ghunchu'wI':
> Does your native language lack a simple word to describe cross
> cousins, or to distinguish between them and parallel cousins? Klingons
> (and Iroquois) would probably be puzzled by that concept being missing
> from your vocabulary. If you want to see an example of why they might
> be important, look at some of the taboos regarding marriage between
> cousins.

In greek we have one word for an uncle or an aunt (on whatever side of
the father's brother sister father in law's daughter and go figure)
and one word for a cousin, placing only the first, second, third etc
before it, to distinguish how distant that cousin is.

michael rooney:
> Here are some family tree charts that might help visualize what's going on:
> http://www.angelfire.com/tx4/purpleelaphants/tlhInganHol/qorDuSor.html

interesting diagram, thanks.

mayqel qunnoq