[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ghu

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Mar 7 10:39:23 PST 2016

On 3/7/2016 1:00 PM, mayql qunenoS wrote:
> qaH ! qaH ! qanuQ 'e' vIpay 'a tagha' tamqu'choH ghulI' 'e' DachavlaH ?
> sir ! sir ! I regret to bother you, but can you make it so (achieve
> it) that your baby finally shuts up ?

-'a'

> qaStaHvIS cha'maH loS rep jIvumpu' 'ej jIQong 'e' vItuch ghuvam..
> I worked for 24 hours and this baby forbids that I sleep..

Qov addressed this one.

> tam'eghnISchoH ghaH ghuvaD 'e' DaghojmoHQo'chugh vaj DujlIj vIQaw'.
> if you don't teach your baby that it needs to become quiet I will
> destroy your ship.
>
> this makes me wonder whether one can combine a SAO with an indirect
> object and if yes how.. let alone that perhaps I don't understand what
> an indirect object actually is. in the sentence above is the {ghuvaD}
> the indirect object ? and if yes, where is it supposed to go ? before
> the {'e'} or before the {tam'eghnISchoH} ?

> on second thought, if the {ghuvaD} is indeed the indirect object,
> and if I understand correctly what an indirect object actually is, I
> think it should come at the beginning of the sentence, before the
> actual object. so maybe I should write :
>
> ghuvaD tam'eghnISchoH ghaH 'e' DaghojmoHQo'chugh vaj DujlIj vIQaw'.

You were right the first time. But {tam} "be silent" doesn't take an
object, so you need {-moH} on it.

[tam'eghnISmoH ghaH] [ghuvaD 'e' DaghojmoHQo'chugh]

he/she needs to cause himself/herself to be quiet = sentence 1

if you refuse to cause the baby to learn that = sentence 2

I personally don't like using pronouns whose antecedents haven't
appeared yet, so I'd probably have done it in this order:

tam'eghnISmoH ghulIj ghaHvaD 'e' DaghojmoHQo'chugh

http://trimboli.name