[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tey'be'

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Mar 7 10:30:52 PST 2016

On 3/7/2016 11:04 AM, mayql qunenoS wrote:
> thank you voragh for sharing these canon sentences !
>
> QISta':
>> megh vut tey'be'wI' 'e' nID 'ach SIjwI' SamlaHbe'.
> jIH:
>> Other that that, I think that you should move the {tey'be'wI'} from
>> it's current positition to place it after the {nID} :
>> megh vut 'e' nID tey'be'wI' 'ach SIjwI' SamlaHbe'.
> SuStel:
>> Not necessary. I actually prefer it the way QISta' did it: it gets the subject
>> out sooner, so you're not left hanging as to who's doing the action.
>
> this confuses me ; the way I understood the SAO until now, the
> sentence preceeding the {'e'} functioned as the object ; and the
> subject needed to come last (after the {'e'}). O 'e' VS. Doesn't the
> subject always need to be placed last ? The way I analyze the original
> sentence, it goes OS 'e' V. ?!?!?!

The first sentence is still a sentence, and its subject is {teybe'wI'}
in QISta''s version, and an elided {ghaH} in yours.

The first sentence is not literally the object of the second; the object
of the second sentence is {'e'}, which REFERS to the first sentence. You
always have to put the first sentence first.

[sentence1] [sentence2]
[sentence1] ['e' V S  ]

[    sentence1      ] [sentence2]
[megh vut tey'be'wI'] [ 'e' nID ]