[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tey'be'

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Sun Mar 6 16:59:16 PST 2016

On 3/6/2016 1:57 PM, mayql qunenoS wrote:
> 'aj tey'be' ghaHmo' lunum.
> because she is the admiral's cousin they promoted her.

Perfective!

> tey'be'wI' SoHmo' bInayDI' jISaH.
> because you are my niece, when you marry I will be present.

Although in English you can choose between "cousin" and "niece," in
Klingon you're just saying {teybe'}, so you're not making that distinction.

> 'aj tey'be' SoHmo' qaHoHbe' 'e' DaHar. tagha'Ha' 'aj vIHoH, ghIq qaHoH je
> don't believe that because you are the admiral's cousin I will not
> kill you. first I will kill the admiral, then I will kill you too.

{tagha'Ha'} might work. I'm always leery of using {-Ha'} on an adverbial
we haven't seen it on before, in case it doesn't mean what I think it means.

In {paq'batlh} we see {wa'DIch} being used as this kind of "first":

    wa'DIch Hegh moratlh
    wej SuvwI' SuvtaHvIS
    mongDaj DuQlu' 'ej Hegh

    ghIq Hegh qanjIt
    qeylIS retlhDaq Suv
    wa' jagh HoHta' HeghtaHvIS

    First, Morath fell,
    Fighting three men at once,
    A fatal wound in his neck killed him.

    Then, Kanjit fell,
    Fighting at Kahless’s side,
    Killing one enemy while he fell.

So you could say {wa'DIch 'aj vIHoH, ghIq qaHoH je} "first I kill the
admiral, then I kill you too."

http://trimboli.name