[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Hoj

lojmIttI'wI'nuv lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 09:33:47 PST 2016

I would need a LOT of context before {bIHojqu’chugh, HoD Qup, vaj DujlIj DatoD} to mean “If you were more cautious, young captain, then you would have saved your ship.” Klingon doesn’t have this kind of grammatical construction, talking about things that don’t exist or that would have happened. You have to work a little harder to say this sort of thing:

bIHojbe’mo’ taHbe’ DujlIj.

“If you were more cautious then X would have happened,” is a very Terran concept. Klingons are more direct. Your ship did not survive because you were not cautious. Say what happened and why, not what would have happened if things were different.

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv