[Tlhingan-hol] {-meH}ed nouns

qov at kli.org qov at kli.org
Wed Jan 27 14:37:52 PST 2016

voragh
>   loghDaq lupDujHom qoDDaq bIlengtaHvIS, nIbuQbogh novpu' DaSuv
>   Battle menacing aliens in a shuttlecraft journey through space. STX
>
>   poSDaq nIHDaq je QamtaHvIS SuvwI'pu', chaH jojDaq yItnIS lopwI'
>   The initiate must pass through a gauntlet of warriors. S9

The thing I like best about these examples is that they demonstrate that
-Daq can be chained or not.

ADaq BDaq qaS. --> at least the part of B that the sentence takes place in,
is ADaq.
ADaq BDaq je qaS --> the relationship between A and B is not necessarily
known.

It's not a contradiction that one is with, and one is without a conjunction.

>  tlhIngan juHqo'Daq tlhIng yoSDaq 'oH toQDuj chenmoHlu'meH Daq wa'DIch'e'
>  1st Construction Site: The Kling District, Klingon Home World.  KBOP

It is interesting that the English is not a sentence, but the Klingon is. It
also draws my attention to the fact that this kind of sentence is the only
one that you aren't left with a complete sentence if you remove the locative
preamble.

There are a bunch more examples in the syntax section of TKD, like pa'wIjDaq
jIHtaH.  {jIHtaH} is sort of a sentence. But {ghaHtaH la'} or
{ghaHtaHla''e'} or {'oH toQDuj chenmoHlu'meH Daq wa'DIch'e'} isn't.  For
this reason, PTB is more special than I had previously noticed.

- Qov