[Tlhingan-hol] {-meH}ed nouns

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Jan 27 13:15:21 PST 2016

qunnoQ:
>> Do' So'Ha' Qov voragh je Dujmey 'ej De' 'ut mulI'.
>> luckily Qov and voragh ships decloacked and transmitted me the
>> necessary data.

Qov:
> I would have said Qov Duj, voragh Duj je.
> Two reasons:
> 1. It's a little awkward having a conjunction in between one noun and
> another in a noun-noun construction. I'm not sure it's wrong.
> 2. It makes it sound like voragh and I jointly operate a group of ships,
> rather than we each pilot our own.

We do have one example of qunnoQ's method:

  quwargh tach Qe' je qoDDaq Hov leng Soj DatIv
  Enjoy Star Trek themed food and drink at Quark's Bar and Restaurant. STX

OTOH {quwargh tach Qe' je} "Quark's Bar and Restaurant" may be a proper name - i.e. it's the name of the joint.  Note too {-Daq} is placed on the noun {qoD} "[area] inside, interior" and not on {tach} or {Qe'} directly.  Another example with {qoD}:

  loghDaq lupDujHom qoDDaq bIlengtaHvIS, nIbuQbogh novpu' DaSuv
  Battle menacing aliens in a shuttlecraft journey through space. STX

{loghDaq lupDujHom qoDDaq} "in/at/through space, inside a shuttlecraft".

But these two are fairly clear:

  poSDaq nIHDaq je QamtaHvIS SuvwI'pu', chaH jojDaq yItnIS lopwI'
  The initiate must pass through a gauntlet of warriors. S9

  tlhIngan juHqo'Daq tlhIng yoSDaq 'oH toQDuj chenmoHlu'meH Daq wa'DIch'e'
  1st Construction Site: The Kling District, Klingon Home World.  KBOP

This is the model I follow.

--
Voragh
tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'