[Tlhingan-hol] KLBC: {-'e'} and {-bogh}

mayql qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 02:30:12 PST 2016

> You have no more created passive voice in Klingon than you have created
> type-5 suffixes in English. When you translate, you use the tools the
> language has. If I can use a ladder to get things off high shelves in my
> house and you stand on a dog in your house, the fact that I could reach the
> marmalade  for breakfast this morning does not imply the spontaneous
> appearance of a dog in my kitchen. Different tools, same job, even if I
> sometimes refer to your dog as a ladder, and you sometimes refer to my
> ladder as a dog. (Also some people will complain that it's stupid that you
> stand on a dog, and your house can't be taken seriously as a real house
> until whoever built it gets you a ladder).

This is a beautiful explanation ! Believe it or not, I had suspected
that something like this must be going on, but I asked anyway in order
to make certain. This whole thing reminds me of something SuStel had
told me, not so long ago, when I had difficulty understanding why the
indefinite subject isn't actually passive voice, however we often
choose to translate it as passive voice. If memory serves my right, he
had said that I was confusing the literal translation with the actual
meaning (or something like that).

Anyway, I think I understand now, so I will start working on your last
group of sentences and post them here soon.

cpt qunnoq