[Tlhingan-hol] Interactions between verb suffixes

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 00:02:45 PST 2016

~mIp'av:
> Even though some endings do not have verb equivalents
> (for instance, {-qang} <willing> has no closer verb equivalent than
> {neH}), I see no reason one cannot apply these suffixes to pronouns,
> such as {jIHqang} <I am willing>,

When a pronoun is used as a verb, it means "to be". {jIHqang} means "I
am willing to be", e.g., {naDev jIHqangtaH} "I'm willing to still be
here". (That's an artificial example. One would probably say
{jIratlhqangtaH} instead.)

~mIp'av:
> so if {vImejqangmoH} is unacceptably
> ambiguous, one could say {vImejmoHmeH jIHqang} for <I am willing to
> make him leave> as opposed to <I make him willing to leave>.

{vImejmoHmeH jIHqang} reads to me like "In order to make him leave, I
am willing to be (to exist)". Well, it's Star Trek, so maybe Q or some
kind of hyperdimensional superbeing is saying this, but an ordinary
person wouldn't.

{mejmeH vIraDqang} "I'm willing to make him leave"
{vIraDmo' mejqangchoH} "I make him willing to leave"

I had suggested to use {-'e'} to mark the party to whom the suffix
applies (either the grammatical subject or the agent): *{ghaH'e'
vImejqangmoH} "I make *him* willing to leave" vs. *{vImejqangmoH
jIH'e'} "*I* am willing to make him leave". But {-'e'} is already
overloaded with meaning. (For example, how would one then say "he,
whom I am willing to make leave, ..."? That's arguably too convoluted
for a Klingon sentence.)