[Tlhingan-hol] 19 new words to create

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 02:42:06 PST 2016

De'vID:
>> tlhIngan Hol Dalo'be'chugh, qatlh ghurbogh mu'tay' DaSaH?

Andrew:
> I think I understand this . . . "If you are not using the Klingon language,
> why are you increasing the vocabulary?"

"If you don't use the Klingon language, why do you care about a
vocabulary which increases?"

Andrew:
> I have a few conlangs I would like to learn several years down the road when
> I have the time to study them and their vocabularies have grown to a size
> that makes them usable in daily life (Klingon has gotten much better in this
> regard . . . when D'Armond Speers tried to teach his son the language, much
> was made out of the fact that Klingon lacked a word for "table").

Klingon was already usable in daily conversation before then. I met
D'Armond many years ago (this was before his son was born, I believe)
and we were at a shopping mall together, during part of which time we
conversed entirely in Klingon. Yes, we did have to use circumlocutions
and spent a lot of time pointing to things and explaining ad hoc
vocabulary to each other at first, but once we got going we could
converse fairly well.

Andrew:
> To help Klingon grow in vocabulary, I'd like to stir the pot, so
> to speak, for the time being.

There are some things which are not possible or at least very
difficult to express, using existing vocabulary. Only experienced
speakers know what those are, because until you've tried very hard to
express what you want using existing vocabulary, you just don't have
any idea what's possible. So far, you haven't pointed out anything
which any moderately skilled speaker couldn't say fairly easily.