[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ghum

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Sat Feb 27 07:42:15 PST 2016

The noun-noun is something you need to master and use often.

The construction that you like, but which confuses is the noun in apposition one: when you are not using one noun to modify another, but using two nouns to describe the same thing.

For example, loDnI'wI', Sub, ghaH. "he's my brother, the hero" might be better expressed as {loDnI'wI', Sub je ghaH},

{HaqwI' HoHwI'} is a killer of surgeons. {HoHwI' HaqwI'} might be an assassin's surgeon.  If you want to call someone a "killer surgeon" you need a different construction.

You usually use this construction in insults.

Make sense?