[Tlhingan-hol] KLBC: "shut up or I'll hit you"

lojmIttI'wI'nuv lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 13:37:00 PST 2016

You say that {vaj} is connecting “two statements”. Note that {bIjeghbe'chugh} is not a statement. It’s a dependent clause, just like {qaleghDI’} or {qavuvmo’}. You would not use a conjunction to join any of these to a statement. They are dependent clauses. Joining statements is just what they do.

The adverbial isn’t “joining” anything. It’s just adding meaning to the second statement. You can leave it out if you like, but it just seems incomplete. {bIjeghbe’chugh bIHegh} is a complete sentence. The {vaj} is not a conjunction.

DaH choyaj’a’?

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv