[Tlhingan-hol] KLBC: Beginner's One-Sentence Story Game

lojmIttI'wI'nuv lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 11:40:21 PST 2016

This is very easy to overthink… or underthink. It is alien. Like Klingons. I get confused about this, myself.

jIHvo’ HIghoS.

“Advance along the ‘from me’ path.”

jIHvo’ yIghoS.

“Move along a path somewhere, away from me.”

The difference between {-Daq} and {-vo’} is that {-Daq} indicates a location, while {-vo’} indicates a direction. If you have a path-related verb, like {ghoS}, then giving that path a location for a name typically implies the destination of the path. You know where you are. You know where the destination is. You know the path connects the two. You derive the direction from this.

{-vo’} already tells you the direction. So, if it’s the name of the path you are on, it already tells you the path and the direction. If it is NOT the name of the path (not the direct object of the verb), then it’s just a direction, and it may or may not be on the path.

Okay, so here are clarifying examples:

bIQtIq vIghoS. I go along the river path. It’s likely to be a road to the river. I’m probably headed toward the river on the river path.

bIQtIqDaq vIghoS. I go along the river path. It’s likely to be a road to the river.

bIQtIqDaq jIghoS. I’m in the river, going along a path. I’m in the river the whole duration of the path-traveling. The river is likely a lot bigger than the path. The river is not the direct object of the verb, so “river” is not the name of the path. It’s just a path that is contained by the river.

bIQtIqvo’ vIghoS. I’m on the path from the river. It’s probably a road that leads to the river, but I’m headed away from the river.

bIQtIqvo’ jIghoS. I’m on a path somewhere. The path is not called the “river path”. Maybe it has some other major destination. Maybe it doesn’t even touch the river. But the direction I’m traveling along that path increases the distance between me and the river.

bIQtIqDaq juHwIj vIghoS. I’m either on the path to my home, and the home is on the river, or I’m at the river, on the path to my home. There’s no real way to tell because “at the river” is not the location of me or the home. It’s the location of the action of going along the path that has a location of “river” and a destination of “home”. At some point along the travels, proximity to the river is implied.

It could even mean that I’m traveling along the river to my home. Maybe my home is on the river and I’m on a boat headed there. That’s perhaps the most likely interpretation of this.

juHwIjDaq bIQtIq vIghoS. I go along the river path to/at my home.

Okay. I’m confused now. Sometimes, efforts to explain things prove to me how much I DON’T know.

Anybody else want to clarify this mess?

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv