[Tlhingan-hol] KLBC: "shut up or I'll hit you"

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Feb 24 15:42:24 PST 2016

On 2/24/2016 5:36 PM, lojmIttI'wI'nuv wrote:
> If you want to make an imperative statement just do it. {yItam!}. Maybe
> make two statements {yItam! qaqIp ‘e’ vIqellI’.} Literally, “Be quiet!
> I’m considering hitting you.” Or be clever, like {yItam! tlhoS
> qaqIpchoH.} “Be quiet! I’ve almost begun to hit you."

Just want to remind everyone that when you use a verb of quality as an
imperative, you need to add {-'egh} and {-moH} to it.

{yItam'eghmoH} "cause yourself to be quiet!" is correct; *{yItam} is
incorrect.

This rule was introduced in KGT p. 117. I've seen it violated a number
of times in this thread, but no one has mentioned it yet.

http://trimboli.name