[Tlhingan-hol] KLBC: Beginner's One-Sentence Story Game

lojmIttI'wI'nuv lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 14:20:49 PST 2016

I feel like you sort of got the nature of the correction, but maybe not really.

It’s less important that you replace {pagh} with {-be’chugh vaj…} than it is that you don’t try to link an imperative command with a simple statement by using a conjunction.

Consider the classic Klingon “Surrender or die!” We are told that you’d translate that {bIjeghbe'chugh vaj bIHegh}. Literally “If you don’t surrender, you will die.” You probably could say {bIjegh pagh bIHegh}. Literally, that means “Either you surrender, or you die. Not both. Not neither. One of the two statements is true.”

Logically, there is a slight difference. Both versions are truthful if:
You surrender and don’t die.
You don’t surrender and do die.

Both statements are false if you don’t surrender and you don’t die.

The {-be’chugh vaj} version is true if you do surrender and you still die, while the {pagh} version is false in that condition.

Using this same statement written as you keep trying to write your commands would be *{yIjegh pagh bIHegh}* You can translate that in a way that SOUNDS okay in English, “Surrender or you die.” Meanwhile, if you dig into what it really means, what you are saying is:

“Either I command you to surrender, or you die. Not both. Not neither.” In other words, one thing is true: “I command you to surrender” or the other thing is true “You die.” Since I’m obviously commanding you to surrender, that part is already true regardless of whether you actually surrender or not, so logically, the second part can’t be true, so you can’t die, unless I’m lying.

See? That’s a VERY different statement than you are trying to make.

So, you really have three options here:

yIjegh! (Context of weapons pointed at you would probably fill you in on the cost of not complying.)

bIjeghbe’chugh vaj bIHegh!

bIjegh pagh bIHegh!

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv