[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: jal

lojmIttI'wI'nuv lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 09:42:33 PST 2016

Keep in mind that {Ha’DIbaH} does not mean “dog”. It means “animal”. We do translate {verengan Ha’DIbaH} as “Ferengi Dog” as a derogatory term, but it literally means "Ferengi animal”. Lately, I’ve been seeing it translated consistently as “dog”, and this time even to contrast with “cat”, which is an animal, so the contrast doesn’t work that well.

Culturally, a {targh} is probably closer to a “dog” than {Ha’DIbaH}. The species is very different from a dog, but the nature of the pet/owner relationship is similar.

Also, you said that you will chew a night with {lursa’ be’etor je}.

It occurs to me that a good name for someone who likes Darth Vedor a lot might want the Klingon name {mIv Hurgh}.

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv