[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: chIm

mayql qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 11:45:42 PST 2016

jIH:
>> Hurghchu'ghach ngay'vam 'oH !!!
>> This is the glory of our Darkness
Qov:
>The translation doesn't match. How about:
> {Hurghchu'ghachmaj ngay' 'oH} = It is the glory of our darkness.

Yes, you're right. Now that I thought of it again, what I wrote
apparently translated to <it is this glory of darkness>.. Indeed it
makes no sense.

jIH:
>> ghIq qIjchoHmoH jul.
>> then the sun was blackened
Qov:
>You're doing your weird thing with -moH here again.
>What you've written means "And then the sun caused
> [something] to become black."

Thank you for noticing this ; While I was writing this sentence I was
confused too. Apparently there is something that I cannot understand
with regards to the be verbs. Something doesn't feel right.

So, lets approach this by doing this.. I'll write some thoughts on qIj
; please read them and tell me your comments.

bIQ qIj = black water
qIj bIQ = the water is black
qIjchoH bIQ = the water becomes black
qIjchoHmoH bIQ = the water causes (something) to be black (although i
just saw that since qIj describes a state or quality it cannot take an
object)
bIQ qIjchoHmoHlu' = someone causes the water to become black ; but
wait a second ! I just realized that if qIj cannot take an object,
then how come in this example bIQ IS the object ?

..and now that I saw again my original sentence {qIjchoHmoH jul}, I
realized that when one uses -moH, he must state who is "doing the
causing" ; Indeed I wrote that the sun is doing the causing. But if I
had a subject doing the causing, then the sun would be placed at the
object position and verbs which describe state or qualities cannot
take one.

Perhaps one could say that "one can't use -moH on intransitive verbs",
which I'm sure that it is wrong..

There is something I just can't figure out here.. Please write your
comments, I'll get some zzz's, as you say in us/canada, (or some "shut
eye", or "I will sleep on it") and tomorrow I'll think this over.

cpt qunnoq
without victory there can be no peace