[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: nIq

John R. Harness cartweel at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 03:02:03 PST 2016

SuStel :

> Also note that the object of {jaH} can be the destination.

This brings up something I would like to discuss, because this subject
confuses me a little.. Please read the following sentences, and tell
me if my interpretation/translation is correct.

bIQ'a' vIjaH or bIQ'a'Daq vIjaH
I go to the ocean.

bIQ'a' jIjaH or bIQ'a'Daq jIjaH
I'm going/moving along the sea. (the sea is the location where the
"going" is taking place)

This is a great question that I would also like clarification on.

It is my understanding that of what you wrote, bIQ'a' vIjaH and bIQ'a'Daq
jIjaH are correct, while the other two options are not. But I'm not
confident in this. Valency -- by which I mean a verb and potential objects
and indirect objects -- is not made obvious in Klingon sometimes.

I also remember learning from ghunchu'wI' once that using -Daq with the
verb ghoS implies that one is traveling "via" a route. Do I remember this
correctly?
Such as: bIQtIqDaq veng vIghoS - I approach a city by river.

'arHa