[Tlhingan-hol] Type 5 on first noun

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 05:52:00 PST 2016

SuStel:
> It all comes down to what Okrand meant, of course. If he meant to
> distinguish the feast as being one that takes place at Qam-chee, then I'm
> right. If he meant to say that Qam-chee is a location that is only telling
> you where the chapter takes place, not the feast, then the chorus is right.

I don't think anyone in the chorus is saying that Qam-chee is only the
location of the chapter, but not of the feast. AFAICT, everyone agrees
that the {'uQ'a'} takes place {QamchIyDaq}.

The difference is only that others are willing to accept that
{QamchIyDaq 'uQ'a'}, as a chapter title, may be taking a grammatical
shortcut and isn't a noun-noun construction. You insist that it must
be a noun-noun construction because the relationship between the nouns
is genitive. But this is affirming the consequent: even if a noun-noun
construction expresses a genitive relationship, it does not follow
that everything which looks like it might be a genitive relationship
is necessarily a noun-noun construction.

SuStel:
> Likewise, if he meant to distinguish the lights as being the ones that are
> installed in the wings, them I'm right. If he meant that the reader is to
> look at the wings, where he'll see some lights, then the chorus is right.

Again: there's no substantive difference in meaning between what you
assert and what everyone else asserts. We all agree that the label is
for lights installed in the wings.

Other labels on the poster also take similar grammatical shortcuts:
{nISwI' talmey: cha' (telDaq lujomlu')}

What's the grammatical relationship between {nISwI' talmey} and {cha'}
here? According to TKD, "Numbers used as modifiers precede the noun
they modify." If we're going to be that literal, then what you have in
that label is the noun construction {nISwI' talmey} and the number
{cha'}, with no grammatical relationship between them. In reality,
everyone understands that "disruptor cannon(s): 2" means there are two
disruptor cannons, and "on the wing: lights" means there are lights
installed on/in the wings.