[Tlhingan-hol] Type 5 on first noun

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Feb 11 09:45:07 PST 2016

On 2/11/2016 12:31 PM, De'vID wrote:

> SuStel:
>> If I want to stick a post-it on my computer monitor, labeling it {De'wI'
>> jIH}, I have no sentence in mind, yet the noun-noun remains. It's a {jIH},
>> and {De'wI'} explains what kind of {jIH} it is.
>
> Indeed, that is a noun-noun construction. If, however, you stuck a
> sticker on your {De'wI' jIH} with the label {De'wI' jIHDaq HumwI'},
> that label would not be a noun-noun construction as defined in TKD.
> It'd be something else (perhaps something that falls under {chuvmey}).
> You apparently want to claim that it would be a noun-noun
> construction, just one that violates the rule. If that's an accurate
> representation of your position, I think at this point we're just
> arguing over definitions. We both understand that N1-5 N2 can't always
> take the place of any noun. From my perspective, that makes it not a
> noun-noun construction. According to you, it is a noun-noun
> construction, just one that violates the rules. We basically have
> different ideas of what the definition of a noun-noun construction is.

I think this has been an argument over definitions all along. I see an
attempt to apply the meaning of a noun-noun construction (genitive)
where the rules say is disallowed. You see the creation of SOMETHING
else, though you stop short of saying what kind of something it is.

It all comes down to what Okrand meant, of course. If he meant to
distinguish the feast as being one that takes place at Qam-chee, then
I'm right. If he meant to say that Qam-chee is a location that is only
telling you where the chapter takes place, not the feast, then the
chorus is right.

Likewise, if he meant to distinguish the lights as being the ones that
are installed in the wings, them I'm right. If he meant that the reader
is to look at the wings, where he'll see some lights, then the chorus is
right.

http://www.trimboli.name/