[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: chaw'

mayql qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 02:36:57 PST 2016

Qov :

> Also, just stick with *Jedi*.

..sorry about this, but I won't. As I have demonstrated time and
again, I'm more than willing to accept anyone's input as far as
everything that I need to correct is concerned. 'a I will not deface a
klingon sentence by intermixing english words. As I have written
before, it's an atrocity toward a work of art, a sight of which is (at
least to me) a klingon sentence.

I accept SuStel's point, that by transliterating WHILE NOT providing
the direct english word net could confuse people, a reason for which I
always write the english word too ; but beyond that, I'm unable to
f*** up a klingon sentence, by the mere sight of an english word :)

Qov :

> Are you really saying that the main clause
> is in order to accomplish the -meH clause?
> There's a difference between {-meH}, establishing the purpose of the
> following clause, and {'e'}, acting as the direct object of the following
> clause.

this may sound strange, but grammar was never my strong suit ; so, I
have absolutely no idea whatsoever what a clause is.

jIH :

> DaH woghtaHghachmeyvam DIchaw'chugh, SIbI'Ha' nuq
>latlhmey HIvtaHghachmey wIlajnIS je ?

Qov :

> naDev muj moHaq cha'DIch.

o' the carelessness.. of course it is ! I just saw it..

Qov :

> Have you met the pronoun {net} yet?

actually I have, but as I understood it until now, it was always to be
translated as "one does whatever" ; so, since until now I didn't come
across the need to say "one does.." I never used it.

Qov :

> bIba' net chaw'. = You are permitted to sit.  (We say this instead of
> *{bIba' 'e' chaw'lu'}. {'e' Xlu'} becomes {net X}.)

for this reason in your example, until now I thought that this could
ONLY mean <one allows that you sit>. the <you are permitted to sit> is
just an alternative translation, or is it always imperative that the
correct translation is <you are permitted to sit> ?

Qov : :

> {bIba' 'e' chaw'lu'}

so this is wrong ?

qunnoq