[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: chaw'

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 11:29:49 PST 2016

voragh:
>> Some years ago [I don't have the exact date] Seqram once usefully
observed that:

>>     as soon as you catch yourself saying... {'e' Xlu'}, immediately
>>     start to think seriously about substituting {net X}.

SuStel:
> Except if you're reciting a proverb with it, because proverbs get special
dispensation. {yay chavlu' 'e' bajnISlu'} "victory must be earned" (TKW
126) apparently breaks the rule without explanation.

It's not just proverbs. Klingon Monopoly has two instances of this:
{DIvI' rojmab qep ghanglu' 'e' nIDlu', 'ach taH qep.} "Despite efforts to
halt them, peace talks with the Federation continue."
{Qang QanmeH yan 'ISletlh Damuv 'e' wIvlu'.} "You are chosen to serve on
the Yan-Isleth and protect the Chancellor."

SuStel:
> (Go ahead, list, tell me how I'm interpreting the rules for {net} wrong,
and the proverb is perfectly grammatical. I dare you.)

If there are circumstances under which {'e' Xlu'} shouldn't be replaced
with {net X}, that hasn't been made apparent in TKD or any canon.