[Tlhingan-hol] Type 5 on first noun

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Feb 11 09:51:54 PST 2016

On 2/11/2016 12:45 PM, Ed Bailey wrote:
> There are too many possible explanations for {qamchIyDaq 'uQ'a'} and
> {telDaq wovmoHwI'mey} to infer anything about TKD 3.4 or 6.1. I would
> just put it down to different rules for labels and titles.

Indeed, this is what I said in my original post. There's no way to
confirm it without new information from Okrand.

> If we read a headline like "Strike averted, schools to open on time,"
> we don't start thinking it's okay to speak sentences with participles
> and infinitives where the predicates go. (But Klingons know how to
> follow/violate their own grammar, and are prone to brevity. It would
> not surprise me at all to hear {nulegh SorDaq ghaHtaHbogh loD'e'}
> shortened to *{nulegh SorDaq loD}.

But remember that Okrand says in his translator's notes that the style
of paq'batlh is formal. I would not expect formal Klingon to drop words
in the manner of a headline, even for chapter titles.

We know that "to be" pronouns can be dropped in clipped Klingon, as in
{nuqDaq puchpa'}, so under such circumstances I think your example could
work. I'm pretty sure clipped Klingon is not considered formal style.

http://www.trimboli.name/