[Tlhingan-hol] Type 5 on first noun

Ed Bailey bellerophon.modeler at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 09:45:03 PST 2016

This is not so much about TKD 3.4's injunction against n1-5 n2 phrases as
it is about TKD 6.1: "Any noun in the sentence indicating something other
than
subject or object comes first, before the object noun." We can use the
phrase "computer monitor" anywhere a noun can go in a English sentence, but
these examples cannot go after the verb, based on TKD 6.1 and the lack (am
I correct in this?) of any canon examples to the contrary.

There are too many possible explanations for {qamchIyDaq 'uQ'a'} and
{telDaq wovmoHwI'mey} to infer anything about TKD 3.4 or 6.1. I would just
put it down to different rules for labels and titles. If we read a headline
like "Strike averted, schools to open on time," we don't start thinking
it's okay to speak sentences with participles and infinitives where the
predicates go. (But Klingons know how to follow/violate their own grammar,
and are prone to brevity. It would not surprise me at all to hear {nulegh
SorDaq ghaHtaHbogh loD'e'} shortened to *{nulegh SorDaq loD}.
--
mIp'av yergho
bu''a'

My modeling blog:          http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/