[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: chaw'

qov at kli.org qov at kli.org
Thu Feb 11 09:37:33 PST 2016

From: mayql qunenoS [mailto:mihkoun at gmail.com]
> lojmItvam qaveghmeH jeDay vum qachaw'Qo' ; naDev chuDlIj neHbe'lu'.

moHaq wa'DIch yInuD.  Also have another look at the -meH clause.  Are you
really saying that the main clause is in order to accomplish the -meH
clause?
Also, just stick with *Jedi*.

> DaH woghtaHghachmeyvam DIchaw'chugh, SIbI'Ha' nuq latlhmey
> HIvtaHghachmey wIlajnIS je ?

naDev muj moHaq cha'DIch.

> 'upmo verengan qabDu', verenganvaD Soj jablu'meH naDev chaw'lu'Qo'.

There's a difference between {-meH}, establishing the purpose of the
following clause, and {'e'}, acting as the direct object of the following
clause. This says, "It's not permitted in order to serve food ..."  Also I
spy a dropped qaghwI'.

Have you met the pronoun {net} yet?

bIba' 'e' vIchaw. = I permit you to sit.
bIba' net chaw'. = You are permitted to sit.  (We say this instead of
*{bIba' 'e' chaw'lu'}. {'e' Xlu'} becomes {net X}.)
bIba' net tuch. = You are forbidden to sit.
bIba'meH quS qanob. = I give you a chair in order for you to sit.
bIba'laHmeH Sa'HutlIj vor Qel. = The doctor cures your butt so you can sit.
bIba'meH 'uSDu'lIj chev bu'. = The sergeant severs your legs so that you
sit.
bIba'be'meH yaH quS. = The chair is taken away so that you don't sit.

- Qov