[Tlhingan-hol] Type 5 on first noun

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Feb 11 07:06:38 PST 2016

On 2/11/2016 9:55 AM, De'vID wrote:
> SuStel:
>> I don't accept that a word has been dropped, because Okrand tells us that
>> "the form of language that was used for the paq'batlh is not conversational,
>> but is a heightened form of language, one that conveys by its choice of
>> vocabulary and turns of phrase the importance of the story being told."
>
> Surely, this applies to the full-formed sentences within the text
> itself, and not to headings and titles? After all, the book is called
> {paq'bath} and it has sections called {paq'yav}, {paq'rav}, and
> {paq'QIH}.

No, those are {no' Hol}:

    We know that the name of the book itself, {paq'batlh}, is some form
    of {no'Hol}. It is grammatically backwards from what we find in
    modern Klingon (where it would be {batlh paq} or "honor book"). The
    character we are rendering with an apostrophe in {paq'batlh} may be
    a clue to some missing grammatical element in {no' Hol} that may
    explain the transposition of the words. The same hesitancy goes for
    the subparts of the text. The rendering of the {no' Hol} words into
    roman letters is meant to mimic the system used to transliterate
    modern Klingon, but further study may show that another romanization
    system may be more revealing.

The chapter headings, on the other hand, are {ta' Hol}.

http://trimboli.name